Compulsory Basic Training (the CBT)

What is the CBT and do I need to take it?

Most learner motorcycle and moped riders must complete the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT). After that, you then have to pass your full motorcycle test within 2 years or you’ll have to take the CBT again. After you’ve completed the CBT, you can ride a moped or motorbike up to 125cc on the road with L plates (L or D plates in Wales) until you pass your full motorcycle test.

You don’t need to take the CBT to ride a moped if you passed your car driving test before 1st February 2001. Mopeds have a maximum engine size of 50cc and a maximum speed of approximately 31mph

You don’t have to take the CBT if you:

  • have a full moped license from passing a full moped test after 1st December 1990
  • have a full motorcycle license for one category and want to upgrade to another
CBT test on a Sinnis Hoodlum

What a CBT involves:

The Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) has 5 elements to it:

  1. introduction and eyesight check
  2. practical on-site training
  3. practical on-site riding
  4. practical on-road training
  5. practical on-road riding

You’ll move from one element to the next when your trainer is happy you’ve:

  • Learn your theory
  • Show the practical skills to a safe, basic level.

You might train with other learners. There is a maximum number of:

  • 4 learners per trainer for on-site elements
  • 2 learners per trainer for on-road elements

When you complete the CBT to at least the minimum standard, you’ll get a certificate of completion, called a DL196. Your certificate of completion lets you ride a moped or motorcycle (up to 125cc) on the road with L plates for 2 years (L or D plates in Wales).

Replace your certificate

The certificate of completion is a legal document; it proves your right to ride as a provisional rider. The police may ask you to produce it.

Ask the approved training body you took with course with for a replacement if you lose your certificate. You can be charged up to £20 for this.

You can ride a moped without L plates and without taking the full motorcycle test if either:

  • You have a car driving license and a Compulsory Basic Training certificate
  • You passed your driving test before 1st February 2001

You must complete a CBT course to confirm your full moped license if you passed your car driving test on or after 1st February 2001. Your CBT certificate for riding mopeds is then valid for as long as your car driving license. Mopeds have a maximum engine size of 50cc and a maximum speed of approximately 31mph.

CBT Training
CBT Training
CBT Training

Where can I take my CBT?

Sinnis Motorcycles have several training schools in their dealer network. Our training schools will provide you with expert and friendly advice to get you on the road, and more importantly, safe and happy. Please have a look at our dealer locator here.

All official CBT centres are regulated by the DVLA so you can be assured that you are not taking a test or training with someone who has not been checked. The DVLA has a very strict policy on vetting test and training centres across the UK and will not accept anyone who does not fulfil their full criteria.

Many CBT centres also offer taster sessions, for those wanting to “have a go” on a moped or bike before committing to the test or training.

To find your local Sinnis dealer just head over to our Find a Dealer page.